Call Today for your FREE Initial Consultation! 239-461-5508

Questions About Car Accidents And Serious Bodily Injury

Unfortunately, the Fort Myers/Cape Coral area can be a dangerous place when it comes to motor vehicle accidents. Serious accidents happen when cars, motorcycles and commercial trucks of all shapes and sizes try to share the road. Unfortunately,

At Goldberg Noone Abraham, we represent people who have been seriously hurt in an accident through no fault of their own. Their lives and the lives of their loved ones have been completely torn apart by the careless or negligent actions of someone else. After such a devastating crash, our clients are left with countless questions about getting on with their lives. There are almost always huge medical bills, costs relating to continuing medical care and rehabilitative treatment, repairing or replacing their vehicle and myriad other concerns.

What Do I Do Immediately After A Crash?

After a severe crash, call 911 and get the medical help you need right away. Gather all the evidence you can at the scene. Do not talk with the insurance adjusters, give them a statement or accept any settlement offers. Call Goldberg Noone Abraham as soon as possible so we can protect your legal and financial rights.

Do I Move My Car Before The Police Arrive?

If it is possible and wouldn't put you in further danger, you should move your car out of the flow of traffic after an auto accident. If you do move your car, make every effort you can to pinpoint exactly where your car was immediately following the crash, and take photographs with your cellphone to document not only your car, but those of any other parties involved. These pictures will be another critical part of defending your legal rights after being hurt in a crash.

Do I Need To Collect Information From Other Drivers?

If you are safely able to do so, it is always a good idea to gather the pertinent information involving the other drivers involved in the crash.

People Approached Me And Said They Saw Everything – What Do I Tell Them?

If you can, it is always best to obtain a written statement from any witnesses, including their name and contact information. This information could prove important in your legal case.

Do I Provide A Recorded Statement To An Insurance Company?

You may feel that the accident was in no way your fault, so there is no harm in providing a recorded account of what you think happened. Most auto insurance policies have a requirement within the fine print that says you will agree to provide a recorded statement following an accident. In actuality, no matter how honest you feel your statement is, providing a recorded statement to an insurance claims investigator prior to speaking with an experienced accident injury lawyer is NEVER a good idea. The type of questions you will be asked – and the manner in which they ask them – can very likely come back to haunt you. Get advice from a qualified, personal injury attorney at Goldberg Noone Abraham before you agree to provide a recorded statement to anyone.

What Do I Do If I Get A Traffic Citation?

The law enforcement agency investigating a crash will generally issue a citation to one or more of the driver's involved after they complete their investigation at the scene. You and the other drivers involved could be cited for a civil infraction, or a criminal citation may be issued for more serious offenses, like DUI or reckless driving. In cases like those, or crash cases that involve serious bodily injury, we strongly recommend you seek the legal counsel of Goldberg Noone Abraham‘s experienced personal injury attorneys.

This will help alleviate your fears and answer your questions – it doesn't cost a thing to come in and talk to us about your accident.

What If The Other Driver Has No Car Insurance?

If one or more of the other drivers is not carrying any auto insurance, you can make a claim for damage repair to your vehicle under the collision coverage of your car's policy. Even if you carry what is called “uninsured motorist” coverage, that will only pay for bodily injury, not for damage to your car. If the accident is minor, and you do not have collision coverage, you may be able to negotiate with the other driver(s) in an effort to get them to pay for the damage to your vehicle. If it was a major accident that involved injuries, but the other party has no insurance, your best recourse may be to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party in order to be financially compensated for your losses.

If you are seriously hurt in a crash, you will be facing a number of financial hardships, including all the medical costs related to your injuries. Even if the other parties that were found to be responsible for your injuries have no auto insurance, there may still be an opportunity to receive compensation for your losses and injuries. Our personal injury attorneys analyze each specific case to determine every legal course of action to protect your rights and to help you obtain the compensation that you deserve.

Do I Need To Look For Medical Treatment For My Injuries Right Away?

Now, more than ever before, seeking immediate help from an experienced auto accident attorney after having been involved in an accident has become critical in protecting your legal rights. Changes to Florida law concerning personal injury protection (PIP) coverage and limits of liability were passed into effect as of Jan 1, 2013 and could severely impact those who are seeking fair and legal compensation after having been in an accident.

In order to get your PIP medical benefits, you must seek medical treatment within 14 days of the accident. Also, in order for you to be eligible to receive your full $10,000 in PIP benefits, an emergency medical condition can only be diagnosed by an MD, a DO, an ARNP (advanced registered nurse practitioner), a PA (physician's assistant) or a dentist.

If I File A Claim With My Insurance Company, Will My Rates Go Up?

Florida has laws regarding what is called “comparative negligence” in personal injury lawsuits, so, in some cases, it can be determined that there is more than one party at fault. The insurance company can raise your rates if you are found to be even a small percentage at fault.

However, if it is proven that you were in no way responsible for the cause of the accident, an insurance company is bound by ordinances set forth by the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation to not raise your premium costs.

I Was In An Accident Over A Year Ago – Can I Still Get Help?

Generally, you have four years from the date of the accident to file a civil lawsuit against another party. In cases of wrongful death fatalities, the statute is just two years. The key is to seek medical evaluation and treatment, along with accurate legal advice from one of our personal injury attorneys, as soon as possible following a crash.

How Do I Know If I Even Need A Personal Injury Attorney?

Not every accident requires the help of a lawyer. At the Goldberg Noone Abraham law firm, we are happy to meet with you to determine if we feel there is a legal cause of action in your accident case. You can sit down with one of our personal injury lawyers at no cost for a confidential consultation. If we feel you do not need our services, we will explain that to you. If we are hired to represent you in your accident case, you can rest assured each of our attorneys are prepared to stand by our clients through every step of their case.

Why Should I Select Goldberg Noone Abraham?

Personal injury cases are extremely difficult to litigate and require the highest possible level of attorney knowledge and skill. Because of our extensive experience handling personal injury claims in southwest Florida, we are fully prepared to develop and execute the most appropriate and aggressive legal strategies to best represent you and your legal rights. You will work together with your own experienced personal injury attorney, or even a team of attorneys and will have complete and total communication about every ongoing issue involving your case. We understand that you will have many questions about your case, and our attorneys provide you with their personal cellphone numbers and can be reached day and night.

We are local people, with local knowledge, and our law firm has been in southwest Florida since its inception.

At Goldberg Noone Abraham, you will never pay attorney fees unless we win your case.

If you, or someone you know, have been seriously hurt in any type of accident, let us know how we can help. Going through the aftermath of a crash can be a daunting and exhausting proposition. The personal injury attorneys at Goldberg Noone Abraham are always available to help. Call us at 239-208-3000 in Cape Coral or at 239-461-5508 in Fort Myers or email us to schedule a free consultation.

Aggressively Defending the Injured

Insurers will do everything they can to keep their money when you need it the most. Do not let them have the last word. Contact our firm to talk about how we might help you with your case. To schedule your free initial consultation, call 239-461-5508 or write to us using our online form. We look forward to helping you move forward from a difficult situation.