Call Today for your FREE Initial Consultation! 239-461-5508


What if P.I.P. Benefits Won’t Cover My Bills After a Crash?

Posted by Goldberg Noone Abraham | Jun 10, 2019 | 0 Comments

Goldberg 20noone 20law 20firm 20medical 20costs Goldberg 20noone 20law 20firm 20medical 20costs

Licensed drivers in Florida are required by law to carry a minimum of $10,000 of Personal Injury Protection, which is commonly called PIP insurance. But if you've been hurt in a crash – especially if your injuries are serious – that $10,000 will be used up very quickly.

It comes as no surprise that $10,000 does not go very far in today's medical care environment. If your car or motorcycle crash has left you with broken bones, a brain injury or other types of serious injuries, that money will be used up in no time.

Florida, which is a ‘no-fault” state, established the current PIP insurance laws and regulations to try to simplify the claims process of those who have been hurt in a motor vehicle accident. PIP coverage kicks in immediately after an injury crash, and is there to cover your immediate medical care. State law says you MUST seek medical treatment within 14 days following the date of your crash. Just as in most every type of insurance policy, PIP will pay 80% of your medical bills until the $10,000 is exhausted.

This doesn't mean you need to be treated within the 14-day limit – it means you need to have a medical evaluation and assessment of your injuries and condition by an authorized medical provider before the two weeks is up. For the PIP money to kick in and begin paying your medical bills, your medical provider will need to issue what is called an EMC, for Emergency Medical Condition.  This means the physician, whether it's a chiropractor, orthopedic surgeon, or your family doctor, must provide written verification that without any treatment, your injuries would result in long-term physical dysfunction or otherwise seriously affect your health in an adverse way. The EMC means your PIP coverage will be available as the first source of payment applied to your medical bills.

Without your medical provider issuing an EMC, you'll only be entitled to $2,500 in PIP benefits.

What Happens When the PIP Runs Out?

Whether you've been hurt in a car, motorcycle, truck, or pedestrian crash, PIP will be the first source of funds used to begin paying your medical bills.

Once your PIP benefits run out, your health insurance – assuming you have it – will begin paying to cover your medical expenses. Of course, you will be expected to pay your normal co-pay amounts, just like you would for going to see your doctor in a non-emergency situation.

As Fort Myers personal injury attorneys, the Goldberg Noone Abraham firm helps people who have been injured through no fault of their own. In cases where another driver may have made a bad driving error that caused you injuries, we feel you should not need to pay to treat your injuries. If another person was found to be at fault for the crash and their insurance company is being less than agreeable in paying your bills, that's when hiring the Goldberg Noone Abraham Law Firm can be your best decision.

Once you retain our firm, your problems become our problems. You'll be able to focus on getting better, and getting your life back in order. Our job is to negotiate aggressively on your behalf to get you the maximum financial compensation allowed under Florida law. If we are not able to negotiate a satisfactory settlement with the at-fault driver's insurance company, then we'll file a civil lawsuit with the intent of seeing them in court.

We invite you to read about some of our successful case outcomes, and call us if you ever have any questions about any legal topic. It never costs a thing to speak to one of our attorneys about any question you may have. In fact, if you do end up hiring our firm, you'll never pay a penny out of your pocket for our services – our fees come from any settlement we are able to obtain for you.

Being hurt in a serious crash can be a devastating experience, physically, emotionally and financially. Give yourself the best chance you'll have to receive adequate money for your injuries, pain and suffering, lost work wages, mental anguish and future medical and rehabilitative care and call the Goldberg Noone Abraham Law Firm immediately.

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Aggressively Defending the Injured

Insurers will do everything they can to keep their money when you need it the most. Do not let them have the last word. Contact our firm to talk about how we might help you with your case. To schedule your free initial consultation, call 239-461-5508 or write to us using our online form. We look forward to helping you move forward from a difficult situation.