Learn How to Ride Safe and Not Become a Statistic
In the first quarter of 2013, there were 31 accidents reported involving a bicycle in Lee County, with 1 fatality. With May being National Bicycle Safety Awareness Month, now is the ideal time to focus attention on how to prevent more crashes involving those who prefer to use a pedal-powered mode of transportation.
“Summer is here, and there will be a lot more kids out riding their bikes,” says Fort Myers bicycle accident attorney Michael M. Noone, of Goldberg, Racila, D'Alessandro & Noone, LLC. “Everybody – whether you're behind the wheel or on your bike – needs to exercise extra caution and educate themselves on rules of the road and bicycle safety”.
Do you think you have a personal injury case? Download our free white paper How a Personal Injury Case Works.
Organizations ranging from the Florida Highway Patrol, The League of American Bicyclists, The National Transportation Safety Board and AAA are all working to increase awareness of some of the perils that go along with mixing motor vehicles and bicycles.
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, there are some alarming statistics regarding people injured while riding their bikes:
- 675 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles in 2011, a 10 percent increase from 2010.
- Bicyclist deaths among people under the age of 20 were down 33 percent since 1975.
- Deaths among bicyclists 20 and older have increased 167 percent.
- 67 percent of bicyclists killed in 2011 reportedly were not wearing helmets.
- Bicyclist deaths in 2011 were higher during the warm weather months of June, July, August and September
- 36 percent of bicyclist deaths in 2011 occurred at intersections.
For a comprehensive list of available resources and training programs on bicycle safety, go to http://www.bikeflorida.org
If you or someone you love has suffered a serious personal injury while riding a bicycle, you need to speak to a qualified personal injury attorney immediately. Call us at 239-461-5508, and we'll sit down with you at no cost to evaluate your situation, and help you determine if you may be entitled to fair financial compensation.
Wondering if you have a case? Click here to find out!